Hi, I’m Emily!
What am I up to?
- Working on my Masters in Social Justice at Lakehead;
- Making alt text, image descriptions, and editorial pieces as an Accessibility Editorial Fellow at the Digital Research Ethics Collaboratory (DREC);
- Editing with the cool kids at the On Canada Project (OCP);
- Contributing to a working group building a grassroots approach to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in post-secondary education.
- Assisting United Way Thunder Bay with a community social media initiative (deets coming October 2022!)
Expected 2024| Masters of Social Justice Studies from Lakehead University Research-driven masters stream focused on the political utility of misrepresenting Anarchy and Communism. 2022 HBA | University of Toronto Journalism and Digital Arts with minors in Philosophy & Psychology. Graduated with Distinction (3.3+ GPA) and won the Get Finished Scholarship two semesters in a row for displaying a high level of planning and strategy. Big Brag: received 100% in a course. 2020-2021 Certificate | University of Michigan Specialist Certificate in Writing & Editing, achieved online through partnership with UofT.
Cool Job Experiences 👨💻
Scrutineer, Ontario Provincial Election
(May – June 2022)
Sworn to an oath of secrecy, I worked with local polls, the NDP campaign office, and voters to ensure accuracy and participation in the election, helping to shift a 27 year incumbency.
Accessibility Editorial Fellow @ Digital Research Ethics Collaboratory
(May 2022 – Present)
Combining research and consultation with authors and artists at the Collaboratory and Cabaret Commons, I’m writing alternative text that focuses on communicating the visual experience to the written word.
Copyeditor @ Canadian Pro Beauty Magazine
Advised and copyedited the Spring/Summer 2022 issue to develop inclusive and concise language.
Guest Lecturer @ University of Toronto
(2022 February 17)
Created and presented the interactive seminar: “Writing and Editing for Adults and Caregivers” to students in the second year of their master’s in occupational therapy, focusing on communication and making technical knowledge important to patients.
- View Presentation Here (pictures removed for privacy)
Digital Editor @ Ontario Society of Occupational Therapists
(December 2021 – March 2022)
Revamped the En-AGE site, a resource for older adults, to make it more user-friendly. Additionally edited the technical content for clarity, reader interest, and search engine optimization.
Top Rated Freelancer @ UpWork
(May 2021 – Present)
100% Success rate. I’ve worked with small businesses, lawyers, and research organizations to identify their audiences and improve clarity.